UCLA Day in the District is the one time of the year when alumni, staff, students, and friends come together to carry one strong voice to our regional state legislators, discuss with them the issues of concern to the University, discuss the importance of protecting higher education in the state budget, and discuss the contributions that UCLA brings to California’s economic recovery and ongoing economic growth.
The State Government Relations (SGR) unit, in collaboration with the Advocacy unit, has employed a customized approach to meeting with each of the 33 members of the UCLA delegation of State Legislators. SGR has identified advocates whose areas of expertise will be of particular interest to our delegation. This same approach will apply to faculty and staff whose areas of expertise directly relate to the interests of each member and their legislative districts.
These district meetings will continue to foster strong relationships with these members and reinforce the role of UCLA as a strong community partner and resource in their respective districts.
UCLA Day in the District meetings will be held on Fridays in March and April:
- High Desert: Assemblymember Scott Wilk, Assemblymember Steve Fox, and Senator Steve Knight
- South LA: Assemblymember Steven Bradford, Assemblymember Isadore Hall III, and Senator Rod Wright
- Westside: Assemblymember Richard Bloom and Senator Fran Pavley
- Long Beach: Assemblymember Cristina Garcia, Assemblymember Anthony Rendon, Assemblymember Bonnie Lowenthal, and Senator Ricardo Lara
- Mid-City: Assemblymember Reggie Jones-Sawyer, Assemblymember Sebastian Ridley-Thomas, and Senator Holly Mitchell
- South Bay: Assemblymember Al Muratsuchi and Senator Ted Lieu
- Downtown: Assemblymember Jimmy Gomez, Assembly Speaker John Perez, and Senator Kevin de Leon
- Pasadena: Assemblymember Mike Gatto, Assemblymember Chris Holden, and Senator Carol Liu
- San Gabriel Valley: Assemblymember Roger Hernandez and Senator Ed Hernandez
- High Desert, II: Assemblymember Curt Hagman
- San Fernando Valley: Assemblymember Raul Bocanegra, Assemblymember Adrin Nazarian, Assemblymember Matt Dababneh, and Senator Alex Padilla
- South East: Assemblymember Ed Chau, Assemblymember Ian Calderon, and Senator Ron Calderon